Introducing.. Wha and Waru!

Our babies are back home safe and sound, exactly where they are supposed to be and hopefully where they will make a comfy bedroom for the next nine months!

We are so unbelievably excited, happy and relieved – and exhausted, what a week! And because this is as much as record for us as anything else, you get a complete blow by blow description. But if you get to the end you’ll be rewarded with our first baby pictures!

The first thing that happened when we were in the waiting room still was that K couldn’t unscrew her tongue stud, so the first thing the nurse saw when she came out to get us was K with both her hand stuck in her mouth which made us all laugh.

We then went through to the consult room (where thankfully it came out as she was going to be on oxygen) and waited for the embryologist. She came in and told us that the embryos were doing really well, and we would be transferring two. She said they were a lot better than they had thought based on the day 3 results and that they were really surprised but happy.

We had decided after Tuesday that I would come in to the room until K was knocked out properly, and then leave. This was because it was pretty upsetting on Tuesday and really there wasn’t a lot I could do once she was out of it.

As usual, they started pretty quickly once the anaethetist had the propofyl flowing but this time she wasn’t right out and was well aware of what was happening and the pain. Once her eyes were well and truly closed I got up to leave, but she must have heard me because next thing she grabbed my hand and started getting really upset. I stood there for a few minutes to work out if she was going to sleep or not then glanced over and realised I could see far too much and had better sit back down! K was moaning and begging the anaethetist to knock her out properly so between that and the vice-like grip she had on my hand I stayed.

In the meantime, the Dr (a different one again) was trying to get the damn thing in. After a while he looked at me and said he thought that there was a fibroid or something in the way that was stopping the catheter from getting in. He said that he was very sorry but he wasn’t going to get it in. Trying to hold on to any glimmer of hope I asked if they were at all freezable but the embryologist said no they weren’t. Looking very apologetic the Dr said he was still going to put the embryos in but that they wouldn’t be very far up and probably wouldn’t work. Just as I nodded and said ok, he looked up again and said ‘It’s in.’

Those two little words made all the difference to the atmosphere in that room. We all looked at each other and were so relieved, no one wanted to give up but it really had looked like it was the end of the road. Because they were poking and prodding trying to get set up, the embryos will still safely with the embryologist so there was a few minutes while she got them all loaded up and ready to go.

There was a lot of smiles and laughing during those few minutes and I told the Dr he was our hero which he quite liked and started calling himself Hero H**** (his lastname). He joked around saying he has a hero moment about once every ten years and I said I was so damn happy it happened on our day!

There was a tense moment or two when the embrylogist came through to hand him the tube with the embryos – a tiny shift could have caused it to come out again and God knows if it would have got back in!

During this time, K started talking again (have I mentioned yet just how damn chatty she gets on Propofol??). She asked me what was happening so I told her it was in – she was so happy and started telling everyone in the room she loved them and then that it was her birthday in two days! Over and over – it was so cute!

The tension came back a bit when the embryo’s didn’t actually go in the first time, when the embryologist checked the tube they were still there – thankfully the second time they did and they are now safely tucked in up there.  K told everyone about her birthday being in two days some more, and what a good present this was, and then we moved back to the consult room to recover.

Everyone was so happy for us, including the embryologist who said she was going to make sure she follow our results on and hoped to see some twins in 9 months time.

It feels so damn good to know that this IVF cycle hasn’t been quite the bust we thought it was. Even if it is a bfn at least we feel like we have given this everything we could have. And the best part about a 5 day transfer is that we only have to wait 9 days to test – omg how quick is that??!! That said, we brought a pineapple and some pregnancy tests on the way home 🙂

So.. onto the cool part.. the embryologist also came into our room armed with photos!

So… introducing.. Wha and Waru:


The one on the left is #4 (or Wha in Maori) and the one on the right is #8 (or Waru in Maori).

Waru was one of the two embryos that were to be replaced on Tuesday. It was only 4 celled then but has now powered ahead of all of the others. The other one that was slated for transfer is developing slowly so despite being the leader on day 3, it wouldn’t have been a good pick after all. It is now just one step shy of being a blastocyst and they were really happy with it’s progress.

Wha wasn’t considered the other day so goes to show the extra two days were well worth it! It is a step behind Waru but still going strong. I was joking on the way home saying that Waru is obviously the girl and Wha is obviously the boy cos it’s a bit rough around the edges!

Neither of them are perfect but they are still developing so we still have hope. They have 3 others that they will continue to culture and see if they come up with anything worth freezing but for now we’re laying all our hope on these two.

There is still a way to go but damnit we’re enjoying this moment!!!


About Tui

30-something kiwi-lesbian-stay at home-Mama, raising our toddler son with my wife, two cats and one dog.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Introducing.. Wha and Waru!

  1. Stacey says:

    AWESOME!!!! That is so so so so so wonderful, I hope this 9 days goes well. PLEASE take it easy and rest and relax…. xx

  2. joul says:

    Yes! I’m so glad they were able to transfer some! Take it easy for the next 9 days, ok?

  3. B says:

    That is great news. Fingers crossed. I hope the next 9 days whiz by!!

  4. vee says:

    My life, what a turn around! I’m SO happy they got Wha and Waru cafely back in. Here’s hoping they come out nine months down the line a whole lot easier!!

  5. A. says:

    I really am thrilled for you, Tui. You should both rest and take it easy in the next week…you certainly deserve it!

  6. Pufferfish says:

    Wow, that is the craziest, twisty-turny IVF transfer EVER! I’m so happy it all worked out in the end and that you were able to even get a 5 day transfer out of it.
    Hope your 9 days go speeding by!! Fingers crossed!!

  7. liz and andrea says:

    So glad it worked out. fingers crossed for the big test!

  8. S. says:

    whooohooo!!! doing a happy dance for you right now!! so, so glad to hear the transfer was successful. now, stick wha and waru, stick!!

  9. nutella says:

    Sitck, Stick!! Grow, Grow! So happy they are in and growing.

  10. GaybyRabies says:

    Aww, aren’t they cute! I’m so happy the transfer finally worked. I hope the pregnancy is not nearly as crazy as the conception was!

  11. Go Wha and Waru! Continue to make your moms proud!

    Congratulations to both of you for getting through these trying days and having a successful transfer after all. I’ll be thinking lots about you during this WUB…

  12. tbean says:

    Hot damn ladies! This is awesome!

  13. Robbie says:

    I couldn’t be happier for you two. 🙂 I hope that you’re holding 2 precious babies in 35 weeks.

  14. queerstork says:

    Beautiful! Have a speedy nine days! xoxos

  15. Olive says:

    Wow! What a story. It sounds like it was for the best that you had to wait for the day 5 transfer. This will be a wonderful conception story to tell your baby/ies!

  16. Geek says:

    Woohoo! So glad you got them in there and they are safe.

    Can’t wait to see that BFP in 9 days time!

  17. poppycat says:

    I am enjoying this moment too. There is a huge sigh of relief on this side of the world. I really am so happy ladies, this made my night. Only nine more days until your bfp! xoxo

  18. mingomama says:

    I am so sorry that I missed most of this story while it was going on, but am so happy to come back to the beginning of the happiest of endings!!! Wha and Waru are totally the two cutest babies I ever did see!!! I can’t wait to meet them again in nine more months!!

    Much love to both of you, well all four of you!!!

  19. thebao says:

    Mazel tov!!! I am so thrilled for you all!! Phew, what a RELIEF. I hope the next nine days fly by. Can’t WAIT to hear all about your BFP.

  20. Suze says:

    That’s terrific, congratulations! 🙂 Seven days, not bad!!!!

  21. How exciting!!!!!!!!!!! Can’t wait to hear the exciting news to come!!!!!!!!!

  22. Next in line says:

    They are truly beautiful and I am so happy that they made it back in the nest. I am hoping beyond hoping that you two get two pink lines!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s