Well today pretty much went about as badly as it possibly could have.
To start with, the egg quality wasn’t very good. There is one 6 cell and five 4 cell emybros with the other two not developing. There is also a lot of fragmentation which isn’t what they want, although the embryologist did say to us that there wasn’t much research around whether the pregnancy rates were any worse with fragmentation.
Based on this, they decided to put back two embryos, one 4 cell and the 6 cell. The others they would continue to culture to see if they develop into blastocysts but they weren’t at all confident that they would be good enough quality to freeze.
The dr was the one that K met up with at work the other day and this time, with K sitting upright and her pants on, she recognised her. That turned out to be a good thing because she knew from experience the difficulties with K’s cervix. Which were about as bad as they could get today.
She tried for at least 40 minutes to get the catheter in. I say at least because when things got really bad I stopped watching the clock. She used ultrasound, an ‘introducer’, tried to dilate the cervix and eventually clipped the cervix to hold it in place while she tried again. And yes the clipping was exactly as painful as it sounds. K was trying really hard to breathe through the pain but it was pretty horrendous. And all for nothing. The whole time all I could see was the pain on K’s face and the Dr shaking her head at the nurse as it became clearer and clearer that it wasn’t working.
They couldn’t get them in. After all the bad insems, it seems things are just getting worse and yeah, they couldn’t get the embryos back in.
So we were sent back to a consult room to wait while the dr consulted with the clinic director. Basically they decided that it wasn’t going to happen the way it was going (duh) and the only other way to try was to get an anaethetist in and try to manipulate her cervix with her knocked out. Dr said they could try to find someone today (but that was probably unlikely) or they could culture them on and hope for some that were freezable and try a thawed embryo replacement down the line.
Now we had some hard decisions to make. We asked the dr what she would do and she said the scientist in her says culture but the woman says try to get them back in.
So here’s where we’re at. We have decided to wait another 2 days and see how they culture (it was to be a day 3 transfer so we’re looking at day 5 blastocysts). In the meantime, they are going to arrange an anaethetist for Thursday.
If they develop well enough and are of suitable quality to freeze, we will freeze them then and there. No replacement this time. K will then have a laproscopy done (they’re pretty convinced all of a sudden that she has endometriosis) and a cervix dilation at the same time. They make us wait for 2 cycles after doing stims before doing another replacement, so we would try to get this done in the meantime. Even though our insurance doesn’t cover anything ttc, it should cover this based on the endo diagnosis which is a very very thin silver lining. So thin it’s almost see through.
If the embryos are developing but not suitable for freezing, we will go ahead with the transfer on Thursday, under anaesthetic so they can do whatever they need to. But there is no guarantee that that will help anyway – they still might not be able to get them in.
But there is also a good chance that the embryos won’t develop enough at all and that this has all been for nothing.
We’re working on the theory that by waiting til Thursday, we’re not really losing anything because if they don’t continue on to blastocysts then they weren’t going to even if this had gone smoothly.
But it is so damn hard. K has been so brave today, this morning has been a nightmare really and we’re pretty upset and not really sure where to go from here.
So we’re back to the favourite ttc pastime – wait and see.