Here’s the deal. Our appointment is set for September 18. I rang our fave nurse at the clinic yesterday to check we were on the cancellation list (we weren’t but now are) and get an idea of what timeframes we’re looking at and what testing K needs to do.
Turns out they need CD2 bloods (conveniently CD2 was today, just enough time for Nurse to get the blood form in the mail and K to run to the lab after work). She also said that if K gets her period before our appointment then to ring her and she’ll get her on bcp so that we can start the drugs next cycle.
The timeframe is either a 6 week or 8 week course of drugs so if it went like this we would not be doing the actual transfer until November. Luckily we rang and caught the CD2 blood test just in the nick of time because if we had to wait til next cycle to get the results it was possible we would have run into their December shut down period meaning we would have had to wait until January! Phew!
Unfortunately this meant that we wouldn’t be able to take advantage of the upcoming school holidays end of sept/start of october.
So my lovely wife rang back herself today and spoke to Nurse, told her we the timing would be right in the school holidays and so she agreed that K could start on bcp this coming Friday! (and by the way for those of you like us who didn’t know, they use bcp to regulate your bleeding beforehand so that they can control when they start all the drugs etc)
And if we don’t get a cancellation appointment and do have to wait until Sept 18 for the consult, she will talk to the Dr to make sure we stay on track for this next cycle. This means that we will be able to do the transfer probably in the first week of October! Kudos to K for being pushy lol
K also talked to someone else last night who has gone through IVF with our clinic – the wife of someone she works with who she hasn’t met before but was very supportive and full of information which was great for her.
So, we are full steam ahead and straight back into things. We don’t feel like we need to wait or have a break at all, we’re out this month from trying anyway and any longer to wait would have just been frustrating. Especially seeing as this way K is off work for 2 weeks around retrieval/transfer time, and I should be on holiday for at least part of it too – perfect!
There was a time when IVF seemed so scary and daunting and Big and Bad but while it’s still a little of those things, it also just seems like the next step. It feels like we’ve known for a while it was coming to this and we’ve had plenty of time to make our peace with it. Of course that doesn’t mean we’re happy it’s come to this or that we won’t have moments of backsliding, but for now we’re good.
Bring it on!