Well, we’re at about day 3 of K’s cycle now, which means that only another week or so til we try our first insemination.
Kind of scary/exciting after all of this planning and dreaming over the past couple of years but all is good!
We had a pretty good Christmas and New Year, christmas with K’s family was fairly relaxed and laid back, had a good couple of days with my folks afterwards at our place, then spent 8 hours in a car on a stinking hot summer day after I had a migraine to visit some friends. lol it wasn’t that bad though and we had a great time down there.
It was really good catching up with not only our donor, BD, but also some other friends that we hadn’t seen for over a year.
It was great to finally sit down and talk to BD face to face about everything. We spent NYE with him and his friends which was cool, but made all three of us feel quite old I think lol. Then on New Year’s Day K & I got up early and wandered into the city centre (a bit of a trek from his flat), found about the only place that was open for breakfast then hung round the waterfront for a couple of hours until BD finally woke up around lunchtime.
It was kinda cool at the waterfront that early, really peaceful and quiet and very few people around (the only ones out and about were the parents with young kids – obviously either didn’t have a big night or just weren’t allowed to sleep in regardless).
After that we had a picnic with BD and went over all of our plans again. We’re all pretty much on the same page and he’s still agreeing to everything that we want which is all good.
He has already signed over his rights as a donor with the clinic, and K and I will be named as the parents on the birth certificate so there’s not much to worry about in terms of him claiming anything down the track, but it was still nice to make sure he’s still comfortable with our original agreement.
Having done that, we’ve also written up a statement of intent which he’s signing as we speak so we are all clear on where things stand.
So, all is good and any niggling thoughts about possible misunderstandings have been put to rest, and if anything does come up later then I think we’re pretty comfortable that the three of us can sit down and talk it out.
As the other mother, I can definitely see how things can get mixed up using a known donor, and while I am sure there will be things/feelings that come up, I know that we’ve chosen the best way for us and that if we keep communicating (primarily K & I but also with BD), we’ll be able to work things out.
So now we’re just waiting for the clinic to get back to us with when K has to start having the daily blood tests to check for ovulation etc, then we should be ready to go.